In order to promote the highest ideals among Akita owners and breeders and aim for the continuous improvement of the Akita breed within the framework of the approved breed standard, we, the members of this club, pledge that:
- We will follow the rules of good sportsmanship which will be a credit to the breed, the club and myself in all Akita competition and activities.
- We will fully explain to all prospective Akita purchasers the advantages as well as the disadvantages of owning an Akita.
- We will attempt to help and befriend novice exhibitors and owners.
- We will keep well informed in the field of genetics and work to eliminate heredity defects from the breed.
- Each member will, before entering into a breeding agreement or doing any breeding of his own dogs, carefully analyze the conformation and pedigrees of the prospective sire and dam. He shall refuse the mating if, in his opinion, it will not be in the best interest of the breed. If he denies stud service, he will fully explain his reasons to the owner of the bitch.
- We will participate in a program of hip-x-raying and eye examinations by qualified veterinarians to eliminate hip dysplasia and congenital eye problems.
- When an Akita has hereditary faults of such nature as to make his or her use for breeding detrimental to the furtherance of the breed, that dog shall be neutered/spayed.
- We will refuse to deal with dog wholesalers or to sell puppies to pet shops and will include in all stud contracts an agreement to be signed by the owner of the bitch that no puppies resulting from the mating will be wholesaled, sold or given to pet shops or wholesale dog breeders or dealers.
- Furthermore, we will refuse to wholesale (buy or sell) any registered breed of dog, singly or in litter lots realizing that we as dog fanciers are responsible for not only our own breed but for others as well. 10 All puppies or adults sold as pet quality and at pet prices should be sold on spay/neuter contracts with written agreement that no AKC registration papers will be issued until the seller has received veterinary certification that surgery has been performed and a copy of that sent to AKC.
- Only ACA Members in good standing will will be permitted to cast a vote on ACA ballot issues.
Fill out our online form below or print and mail ACA Club Membership Renewal in PDF.